SharePoint 2007 – Document Library Send To Feature

One of the neat new features of a SharePoint document library in SharePoint 2007 is the ability to send a document to another location. This feature is great for a couple of reasons. The first is that most teams have a collaborative area where they create content that will eventually be consumed and available for the remainder of the company. In many cases, this collaborative area is restricted to only those that belong to the team responsible for creating the content. However once the document is complete, it should be published out to a location where everyone has access. The problem with relocating the document to a less secured area is that it involves us either moving or copying it. Moving doesn’t seem like a good idea since it is likely that the team may wish to make further updates at a later time. If that is the case, then it would be most appropriate for them to make those updates in their collaborative area since that is where they do all their work. Copying involves duplicating a file and that typically introduces issues with synchronization of content. However using the Send to functionality of a document library, we can create a link from the source document to the published copy so that whenever the document is checked back in, the author will be prompted to update the published versions. Another great feature of this Send To option is the ability to create a custom location. This allows us to specify a common place that content may be published to. To do this you must go to the Advanced Settings of the document library, and specify the location of the document library you wish to publish to. Note: Make sure you specify the library url (example: http://server/sites/sitename/libraryname) and not a view of the library (example: http://server/sites/sitename/libraryname/allitems.aspx). Once you have your specified custom location, it will show up in context menu of documents in that library.

This entry was posted in SharePoint 2007. Bookmark the permalink.

97 Responses to SharePoint 2007 – Document Library Send To Feature

1. Nate says:

I can get this functionality to work within a web app but when I try to send a document to a different web app I get an error that states: “Could not find the destination item or folder on this server” I hope that I am doing something wrong and this is not a limitation of SharePoint 07.

2. Theresa says:

Have you seen any way to “send to” a whole folder within a library to another library?

3. Greg says:

IMHO, the requirement that you have to type or paste in the URL to the destination, and can’t browse to the location, renders this unusable for most.

4. Iv says:

This functionality doesn’t work for me. An empty MessageBox with OK button is displayed and nothing is copied. What can be wrong?

5. Greg – Agreed that browsing would be more appropriate. However if you (as a site manager) pre-populated the most common location your team might be publishing to for them as the short cut, it may be quite helpful for them. In an idea situation, you could browse and also have “n” number of shortcuts configured.

Iv – An empty message box seems odd. I havent replicated that one. I know that often people get errors when they enter an invalid path (maybe to a view page or site root) but that displays a message that says so. Please let me know if you ever figure out why you are getting that error.

Theresa – If you are using MOSS, the manage content and structure can allow you to move or copy contents of a folder around with relative ease. While you cant move the folder, you can take its contents. There may be limitations here for what you are looking to do but I’d recommend starting there.

Nate: I have done this successfully from one web app to another within the same farm. Haven’t tried other scenarios.

6. ashok says:

That was great. It worked well for me, I have been looking for this for days. Is there any way that the document could be moved to a different folder on change of status.

7. Amanda, Is there any way to take metadata and preserve security using the send to function?

8. Tony says:

It’s a cool feature. But is there a way to disable it?

9. Susan Joseph says:

This is a cool feature and we have been trying to custom build a similar feature but have been unsuccessful so far. I would love to know, using the ‘send to’ feature, if it was possible to ensure that the document, if deleted at the source location, also gets deleted at all other locations. And the second concern i have is, does this create a copy of the document? Does it increase the size of the database? Would really appreciate a reply. I’m desperate for a fix to my problem!

10. Leroy says:

Is there any way to email a document (or preferrably the flexibility of multiple documents) as an attachment rather than a link from a document library including from a filtered view? Say for example when a user is emailing multiple brochures out to a potential customer who does not have access to the portal. Thanks

11. Wes Stephens says:

Amanda,

I followed your instructions to a tee on a document library on one of our test Site Collections. We are in the process of building our MOSS Farm so that published documents from the various Site Collections will be stored on a separate Records Repository. When I “(Click here to test):” the “Send To” location I created, it opens up the document library on the Repository but when I click the “OK” twice, I get error stating “Could not find the destination item or folder on this server”. Do you have any idea why this could be happening?

Thanks,
    Wes

12. thamizh says:

this piece helped me. I wanted to enter the site path to upload the file to but I was getting an error msg. found this blog and corrected my mistake. didn’t find any other site that explicitly mentions this.

13. BY says:

To Nate:

I ran into this same problem myself and have been working on it all day. I finally found the solution and thought I’d share it with you (assuming your issue has the same cause as mine).

When you copy the URL of the site you’re trying to send to there will be some extra stuff on the end that you need to delete:

In the above link to a doc. library, the doc. library name is New Employee Orientation and the /Forms/AllItems.aspx is something the system throws in there to set the page up (Amanda can probably explain this, it’s over my head). Anyway, for some reason the page URL reflects this other stuff when you really just need everything before /Forms/AllItems.aspx for it to work.

Hopefully this helps!

14. Fred H says:

I have also been trying to find a solution to this “Destination not found” problem for awhile. Nate’s solution did indeed render a successful execution of this feature but this appears to be another instance of SharePoints weakness with how it works with folders.

If you are trying to send a document to a specific folder within a document library it seems you are out of luck. This along with the fact that you cannot copy or move folders within the site structure makes document rather cumbersome and I am very glad that I have discovered this before getting to far into the set-up of our company site. It seems to me that the only way around this is look at doc libraries as folders, create a lot more of them, and keep the documents at the root level.

Am I way off base here or have others come to a similar conclusion?

15. Kim says:

I really like your site! I have found it to be very useful when working with Sharepoint 2007. This article was VERY helpful in setting up a link between the same document on different sites. Although, I am at a loss as to how to go about deleting the the original document and then getting that to delete all the copied documents. If you could help with this that would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

16. Ken says:

Can you please suggest the reason why if I use Send To for a Document Library inside a Meeting Workspace, it will fail with this error message: The destination is in a Meeting Workspace, which does not support this action…?

This seems a bit strange to me.

17. Yash Desai says:

Great article.

Do you know how to leverage the use of the “Send To” command for Items in a sharepoint list instead of documents in a document library? For example, if I want to email a link of an item in a list to a person, I want to use the same functionality as the one used for “Email a link” in the document Edit Control block.

18. Rod says:

Great article and great feature to have.

One issue i have is how do you stop people making changes to the ‘copy’ so that only the master document is editable? Is it a case of only sending the document to a document library with ‘read only permissions’? Similar to what was previously mentioned, if the master copy is deleted, how can you ensure that all copies are deleted?

Thanks very much for any advice

Cheers

19. mary says:

A newbie question
    We have a situation where we want to archive documents in libraries to file shares(to write to CD’s).
    Is there an easy way to do this or do you have to select each document as a “save to” and specify the path.

20. Azalia says:

Could not find the destination item or folder on this server. Errors

21. mandy says:

this is the error i get if a want to complete this task “Could not find the destination item or folder on this server. Errors

22. Ralph Dalton says:

Hi amanda, nice Blog. I am trying to add the same ‘Send to -> ‘ option that is available in the Documents drop down to the ‘send to’ feature in Pages list. At the moment Pages ‘send to’ feature only has the 3 options ‘email a link’, ‘create a workspace’ and ‘download a copy’. as you seem to be the only one to mention the feature in any details have you any ideas on how to add this menu item to the drop-down? rgds

23. John Brook says:

Hiya
    This is interesting. Problems posters have re concurrency of documents, deleting all copies if 1 copy is deleted, space used etc would all be addressed if we could do the sharepoint 2003 ‘submit to portal area’ thing. Instead of creating a copy, this published a LINK to the original document on the selected sharepoint web pages. Brilliant – but can’t see how to do this in sharepoint 207. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    Cheers, John

24. Guru says:

Hi,

There is an option called Add listing to this Document while uploading a document in Sharepoint 2003 portal Area(not in Team site). I want to know how do we get this functionality in MOSS 2007

25. Jesper Arent says:

I am trying exactly the same as Ralph Dalton, with a Send to feature for Pages rather than Documents.
    One option I consider is writing my own workflow for it (publish copy to another Pages lib), but is there any simpler way?
    And how do I copy the feature that the two Pages are kept in sync when I edit the master? Ralph: any progress on your side?

26. Steve says:

With our installation, when I e-mail a document link, it is corrupted when generated within outlook.
    I can see that it is replacing / – . etc.. with the ASCII codes. This is fine ordinarily, however we have a “-” and a few “.” in the path. Is this just a setting somewhere or a bug?

e.g. sharepoint generates the link (which fails) as

whereas, if I modify the opening server location part of the shortcut so that it reads;

All is well again.
    Can I simply over-ride the server name detail somewhere to counter this?

27. Steve says:

Also worth mentioning….I’ve tried this with Outlook 2003 and 2007, also tried detault Plain, Rich Text and HTML format, and also with and without word as the default editor and all of the above from different clients.
    It has to be how it’s generated within sharepoint somewhere.

28. Steve says:

Have just spoken to Microsoft who have said that this is a *known* bug.

Outlook does not recognise the extended characters in the server portion of the URL to fire up Internet Explorer.

As this has been a problem for previous versions of office, they are probably going to compensate with a Sharepoint fix.

The only thing they would commit to is that they *MAY* have a fix for it in sharepoint SP1 in Q1 2008.

Deep Joy.

29. Clare says:

I have 3 server farms set up on the same domain and do not be able to send a document from a doc library on one server farm to a doc library on another server farm. It works fine between doc libraries on the same farm.
    Does anyone know if this should work?

30. Ashley L says:

Amanda, great site. I’m deploying MOSS to a school district. They want teachers to use their my site to develop documents then publish to class sites. The send to function is working on the portal app but is not working from the My Site Document Library to the Class Sites on the portal app. Are there any know issues using Send To from My Sites? Thanks.

31. Rebecca says:

I’ve received this error when I thought this may be a cool way to populate an individual document into someone’s mysite…

you can bookmark pages using the “MyLinks” but my client wants his users to be able to pull copies (better yet, links) of individual documents of interest to their mysite page, even if they are not the owner/modifier of the document. So I tried to configure the ‘send to’ using Amanda’s instructions to go to the ‘mylinks’.

However, mylinks is a links list and I was trying to send a document. Oops. Square peg + round hole = empty message box error. In my case, at least. :)

Amanda, in the event you see this message (looks like an old thread) have to say my old work colleague and dear dear friend is a native Newfoundlander, I want to say from St Joes, about 45 min from St Johns? Anyway, small world. Beautiful country–or actually province, right, since the 50s?

Rebecca

32. UB says:

Is there a way to automate the copying of a doc to another doclib, not in the same site. Basically i have a source doc lib… and an a serires of sub sites for other users… these users requires a r/w copy of the doc. So for the sake of a demo, imagine 2 sites, each with a Doclib, one R only and one R/W. I know that i can set up a custom workflow on creation of item in the source to copy to the destintation. all work well when both the doclibs are onthe same site. SO the Q…. Is it possible to use Designers Workflow capabilities to do this. Or is it possible to make accesible a list/make it global, so that all subsites can see it?

Any ideas would be great.

33. Danny says:

I was wondering if there was a way to actually make a copy on the destination machine instead of creating a link back to the machine that has the master copy of the document?

We have a client that will have a central MOSS server that will send copies of approved documents to sites hosting WSS 3.0 and we want to have minimal traffic going to the MOSS server (hence the reason for the copy).

Cheers and Merry Christmas.

34. Shane says:

I have just started with SharePoint 2007 so my background is limited but I have built up two isolated small server farms to test out. I came across your Document Library Send To Feature and tried it out and it works on one of my sites with no problems but the other one it a different story. When I (click here to test) it works but when I like ok and the graphic shows the file moving it pops up a login screen and none of my accounts work and this popup doesn’t come up with the site that works. Any ideas what might be set to cause the login pop with (Send To)???

35. Sohail says:

I assist in maintain an intranet that was using SharePoint 2003 but now starting to use 2007. I had a question regarding the old document libraries (on the old site). I want the document libraries from the old site in the new site, however the locations are not the same (hierarchy are not the same). for example a doc lib in /international/asiaregion is now should be in /international/asia/southasia. How would i first download all document libs and then upload(import) them on to the new site. I can do this individually but of course its crazy!
    I have tried to ‘export to spreadsheet’ to an old doc lib but the excel file shows the links to the server (which those links are not correct for the new site). I believe its the same server but just the different SharePoint website (if that’s even possible).

Thanks Any help would be very much appreciated!

36. Keith says:

I saw two people say that they had problems copying between farms…I don’t know if it will work but maybe it be worth checking that a domain account used on the application pool has rights to both libraries…or at least verify that the source library’s Web App application pool account one has rights to the target library.

I have a question however….anyone know if there is a way to add multiple sent to sites…..I have two (or more)different libraries that documents may need to be copied. It would be nice to be able to select on or the other as opposed to just one.

37. Terry says:

Good information.
    This is all working for me, but I would like to find a solution for one thing. If a document has been copied previously into the library that I have my “send to” copying into then I get an error, (“Copying to the destination did not complete successfully”) when I try to do a “send to” the second time. Because of an existing work flow and attempting to keep things as simple as possible for the user, I need them to be able to just select the “send to” option and replace the existing copy. Do you know if there is anyway to get past the error when attempting to “send to” an existing file?

Thanks in advance

38. Steve says:

Some things to note here that I didn’t see mentioned…

First, if you use the Send To option it creates a copy in the new location that references the orignal source. You are able (from the copy) to find the source. As updates are made to the source you can opt to choose to receive alerts letting you know. You can also sync up the copy to the source as well.

Also you can use the Manage Copies fetaure as well from the source document to track where all the copies of a particular document are stored at.

The only problem with setting up a “Custom Location” is that you can have only one and it must go to a specifc place. I am working on making ours do multiple custom locations.

The bad thing is the browse feature. Most people do not know URLs, do not care about URLs and don’t bother with them. I am working on adding a browse feature to our site and when finished will post the update here.

39. Steve says:

OK, here is a neat trick…

On the “Custom Location” – Add a dialog box to browse through the current site location.

I originally found this at some URL I need to give them credit for but it didn’t really work *exactly* as posted so I made the correct changes and am posting the stuff here:

First:

Copy.aspx

The above file is what drives the ability to copy files from one library to another. Generally it uses a URL methdo in which you can type the URL and copy the file to the URL you manually typed in. Perfect…almost.

What is really needed is a browse button so you can browse the current site collection and pick where you want to place you documents. We had a big need for this in our Engineering department so this is what was done.

Copy.aspx should reside in :: \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS
    Find it and make a backup of it…*DON’T SKIP THIS PART EVEN IF YOU SHRUG IT OFF IN YOUR MIND*

Find the following lines in Copy.aspx (open in Notepad, it’s so much faster)

” EncodeMethod=’HtmlEncode’/>: onclick=DispDocItem(this,)>

var L_NoCopyControlPresentConfirm_Text = “‘ EncodeMethod=’EcmaScriptStringLiteralEncode’/>”;

Right where you see the you are going to insert a line right above that so it looks just like the one below, don’t delete anything!!!!:

Ok now that that is done we need to find the TD section that contains the Text Box where the URL is entered, it looks like this below:

” class=”ms-input” ID=”TxtFolder” Columns=”35″ Runat=”server” maxlength=255 size=60 width=100% />

You want to replace those lines above with this entire thing here:

function launchPicker()
    {

var siteURL = location.pathname;
    var mySplitResult = siteURL.split(“_”);

var url=location.protocol + “//” + location.hostname + mySplitResult[0] ;
    var callback=function(arr)
    {
    if(arr==null || arr==undefined)
    return;
    var site=arr[1];
    var list=arr[2];
    var x=document.getElementById(“sendToBrowse”).parentNode.previousSibling.children[0];
    x.value = url + site + (site == ‘/’ ? ” : ‘/’) + list;
    }
    LaunchPickerTreeDialog(“Select Destination”,””,””,””,url,null,””,””,”/_layouts/images/Copy.gif”, 0, callback );
    }

Now this is critical….The original guy that posted this had this set to the root of your current SharePoint site. I didn’t like that, I felt it should bring up the dialog box relative to where you where (at the site you were in). In our case we have seperate collections for each department and a seperate collection for our Root or home page. This essentially means that a dialog box at our root site will not allow us to broswe the individual departments doc libs because they exist in their own collections. We do this to allow us to have seperate databases for each site thus we can turn them on or off at the department level without effecting the entire site.

So anyway these lines control that bit of stuff in the JS above:

var siteURL = location.pathname;
    var mySplitResult = siteURL.split(“_”);

var url=location.protocol + “//” + location.hostname + mySplitResult[0] ;

Just change the var url – location.protocol to a path you desire if you don’t like the behaviour implemented here.

Now after all of that is done you also need to modify the Core.JS only if you decided to change the name of the Copy.aspx file when you worked on it. If you simply updated the Copy.aspx fiile you are good to go.

It is located here:
    \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\1033

Make a Backup – PLEASE

Just open up CORE.JS in Notepad and replace the Copy.aspx entries (2 of them) with whatever you named Copy.aspx to.

Save all, and Viola!

No need to recycle the servers.

NOTE: If you have several WFE’s make sure you send these changes to all of them.

As always do this in TST first.

Finally I don’t like mucking with the TEMPLATE stuff. You can do this at the site level as well it’s just a bit more complex as you would need to play with the SubMenu for the “Other Location” menu item and all that jaz.

40. Sohail says:

I wanted to know if anyone else was stuck on this, and maybe can help! I wanted to add change something on one document library, but wanted the effects to the whole site, the entire sites document libs (more than 100 libraries on different sites). I didn’t want to sit there and go through each site and change each document library. Is there any way you can change it once!

Thanks !

41. Cynthia says:

I have the same problem another person had earlier, each time I try to send the file to another destination I get a blank error pop up… I have no idea why this isn’t working.. I have three instances of my environment running (Prod, Test, Dev) and it fails in all three!! Any insight is welcome.

Thanks!

42. Shinu says:

If any body know, How to remove the option “Download a Copy” from Send to Menu in files in Document Management System.

43. Cynthia says:

From my post above, I wanted to mention that the same proceedure works in firefox…. it just seems to bomb in Explorer!!!!

44. Shinu says:

Is it Possible to search a group in sharepoint.

45. Angela says:

I also have the problem with the blank error message – has anyone found a solution for that?

46. Reto says:

I search a “Sent to” Solution for “E-Mail as PDF Attachment”.
    We have Office Documents in the WSS Library and we would like sent this to our customer directly as PDF Document.
    Has anyone found a solution for that?

47. Jon says:

‘Blank Error Message’ anyone!????

I’m having the same issue too.

48. Ellie says:

I have a problem in document library in one of my subsites.
    In document library, in shared document, I have a bunch of folders/files but I don’t get the drop down menu under name that gives you the option to “view Properties, Edit Properties, Manage permission, Delete and Alert me”.
    It was working before and all of the sudden disaapread!
    Even when I create a new folder or file is not coming up.

I have it in my other subsites and sites and it is working fine. something unusual happened!

Thanks
    Ellie

49. Dave says:

Great source of info..
    I need to add a “send attachment” item on the menu, this must be a common problem but can’t find the answer anywhere… Sometimes it is not appropriate to send a link…

Ta
    Dave

50. Lynn says:

We have created a custom feature that attaches the ECB to the Title field, and used this feature to create new document library templates. I have noticed several differences between “send to” functionality for out-of-the-box document libraries and our custom libraries:
    1. the ECB on the custom libs does not include “Go to Source Item,” the “Send to” menu does not include “Existing Copies,” nor does the view properties page of the source document include a “Manage Copies” option
    2. additionally, the user interface varies from user to user – some users receive the “waiting for user confirmation” copyresults.aspx page, others receive a javascript box asking if they are sure they want to send a copy – both generate successful copies, but I’m confused as to why the experience is so different
    Any ideas?

51. rick says:

Put me on the list of people who get the empty msg box when I try to update copies. The original Send To works fine but have not been able to do any updates.

52. rick says:

I repaired Office Outlook 2007 and no longer get the empty message box. The copy had errors. Now repairing Office 2003 which is installed on my PC.

53. Heidi says:

Does anyone know if it is possible to update the source document from a copy? I have been able to edit the copies but unable to copy them back to the original source (unless I rename the document). I have full control over the site and am an owner of all pages so it can’t be a permission issue, unless I’m missing something somewhere. Thoughts? Anyone? Amanda? Please?

54. KP says:

I’m also getting the “Blank error/warning dialog” when using the “Send To” functionality. It used to work before for us. We haven’t installed any hotfixes etc. Just another for the collection or meaningless Sharepoint error messages!! Any help or info would be great – cheers

55. Benny says:

Why can’t I find a solution to extend the “Send To” functionality with a send an attachment ?

56. Robert says:

New to Sharepoint 2007. The Send to function did not work for me at first, and I was receiving some of the same errors. Problem was the URL name of the destination. I had to cut off some of the last of the URL (pretty much everything after the word Library) One of the ways to to update the source document is through the versioning process if you have that feature enabled.

I am having problems however trying to Send To (adding the URL/Destination Name) from multiple libraries/sites. I can get it to work with one site, however I have added the correct destination in the advanced settings to no avail. Anyone have similiar problems.

57. michael says:

mpty dialog error fixed

I was getting this annoying little error, too, but fixed it by doing a repair on my Office 2007… could be that I installed SharePoint Designer after installing Office (that gave me fits with other things in the past, like importing spreadsheets into a list, for example)

Anyway, that fixed it for me

also like the article says, make sure you end with the name of the library with no slash (/) … as opposed to a view or the forms/ directory… if I dont, I get an error

58. Hi,
    Did you realize that if you try to use “send to”, all lookup columns values are ignored and will become blank in the sent location. This is happening with 2 libraries with same configuration.

If someone knows of a fix….
    Sometimes I hate Microsoft…
    Any help or comment would be appreciated.

59. molly says:

when using the ‘send to’ feature, how do you get it to automatically delete the item you just sent from its former location? i can only get it to copy it to another library, not actally move it. Also, if using the workflow, is there a way this can be set up to automatically move upon change in status?

60. Monty says:

I was wondering if there is a way to get the send to logic/code so that I can Send documents to another sites document library on a click event on a custom web part.

Thanks

61. Amey Mulay says:

Did the same step, wherein if Sharepoint Designer is installed after installing MS Office please repair office. IT WORKS….!!!!

62. Ian says:

Great artical, I have tested this between two libraries on same site and it works fine. I have another site for the IT department to use seperate to the general company site but I am unable to send a document from this site to the company site. It comes up with “Could not find the destination item or folder on this server” as per a lot of respondants. If anyone works out how to get around this, I would very much like to know. I suspect it would help a lot of people in the process.

I note that one respondant asked how to secure the copy ( published ) document. I think the point of this exercise is to develop the documents in seperate controlled folders that have appropriate rights etc to allow contributions, one for each department in organisation as I intend to setup and then once the document has been approved for publishing, ‘send it’ to a READ ONLY folder that houses the published documents, simple, at least that is my take on how this would work best.

Ian

63. Sorin says:

Hi
    How can I programaticaly create a Send To ?
    I’ve made a fature which creates a Document Workspace, copies the file to that dws but I need to make a Send To to get back that doc.
    Any ideas ?
    Sorin

64. Chandan says:

When we use the Microsoft out of the Box feature Send to other location, the date value of the document which is copied to destination document library is getting erased in the source document library for the Microsoft office 2007 documents. It works fine for Microsoft office 2003 documents.

Steps to reproduce the issue:
    1) Create two standard document libraries DocLib1 and DocLib2
    2) Now add DateTime metadata column to DocLib1, follow the below steps to add the existing date time metadata column
    a. Go to Document Library–> Settings –> Advanced Settings
    b. Now set the Allow management of content types to Yes and click ok
    c. Now click on Add from existing site columns and select Article Date and click add and then click ok
    3) Repeat the step2 for DocLib2
    4) Now upload the Microsoft office 2007 document to DocLib1 and enter the title and Author Date and click on save.
    5) Now use the out of the box Send to other location via the right click of the document to copy the document to doclib2
    6) After the document is copied verify the Author date in DocLib1 and notice that Author date is erased completely.
    7) Repeat the steps 4 to 6 for Microsoft Office 2003 documents and it works fine.

65. Stefano says:

This feature works fine!
    But this is like a “copy&paste”. is it possible to have a “move to” feature?

Thanks,
    Stefano

66. vidurasai says:

hi amanda & every one,

I am facing the problem with not to download a document, actually i have a document which is confidential to my company, this document should be only viewable, not for download or copy, so how can i remove the ‘send to’ option from document library or document(as we can have figure from the above last) or is there any other way to get rid of this, Please help me regarding this……

thanks,
    vidurasai

67. Paul says:

Chandan: Did you add the column the library or the content type? Perhaps you should try adding it as a site column first and then associate it with your custom content type.

Either way this seems odd. Does the destination library still contain the correct metadata?

To answer all the other emaning questions here in Amanda’s absence, the following apply:

- this feature is only available on and between Document libraries.
    - the ECB can be customised quite easily with feature code. If you’re not a developer then don’t ask and don’t try.
    - you can copy multiple items, folders – even an entire document library – very easily using Web folders. MOSS allows WebDAV connectivity.
    - all other questions are based around an ignorance of the product’s most basic features. Try to learn something for yourself poeple.

Thanks Amanda. Absolutely amazing how many posts you can get from an article that describes OOTB functionality. :)

68. beargal says:

Hi Terry (post 1/8/2008),
    I’m not sure if you ever received resolution to your error question – “Copying to the destination did not complete successfully”, but I was having this same issue and found a resolution. Based on this TechNet post – http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/sharepointgeneral/thread/b7d78ac2-6d6f-4af7-8f91-fc3eaa055e93/ – I went to the Source B document, checked it out, and then was able to successfully Send To from Source A document. In my scenario, I was sending from a doclib in MOSS to a Compnay Internet publishing site.

69. Kevin says:

Was a solution ever found for the empty Messagebox issues that I see referred to in this forum? I have the same problem and can’t find a solution anywhere.
    Thanks

70. Troy says:

Dear Paul,
    You seem to be a wise developer…. I am having a bit of a problem here , Look-Up field values are not being copied correctly not to say at all in a “Sent To” action between libraries…any idea about that?
    In Both libraries the look-up field is created using a Site level List.

Thank you in advance for your kind and wise answer.

71. Joe says:

RE: Receiving a Blank error dialog box with only an OK button (error message)

I was receiving the same error when I was trying to use the Send To, and finally figured out what it was, so I wanted to post here for others to know. In my case I was receiving a blank error message box because I am using Windows Vista, I tried the exact same operation on someone elses PC running Windows XP and it worked just fine. It appears to be some sort of security setting with Vista IE and Sharepoint. I tried turning off Protected Mode, and adding it as a trusted site, neither worked. Hopefully someone else can pick up on this info and test further.

Hope this helps…

72. flink says:

I’ve been reading massive numbers of blog articles and comments. I was forced to use SharePoint. I’m dealing with it, though. But so many simple tasks regarding automation, file copying, changing permissions for the destination, etc., don’t exist but in SharePoint. Even on a plain old IIS server, I can run scheduled tasks to do my file copies to different servers using batch files or even launch perl scripts for more complicated things.

Why is SharePoint so far behind the curve when it comes to basic file manipulation? I’d honestly like to know. I’m not looking to start a flame war, I’m looking for some rationale for the lack of features. GUI’s are pretty, so is some inheritance, but that doesn’t help me meet any deadlines or replace the basic CMS functionality found in many LAMP systems that I can’t replicate in SharePoint.

73. Kat says:

I was initially excited about this feature, but I haven’t had much success w/ its “update” feature.
    First off, once the document is “sent” to the other library, anyone w/ contributor rights in that library will be able to change the “copy” w/out any option to update the source document. That could definitely be a problem.
    My other concern is that, when editing the source document, I only seem to get prompted to update copies if I am checking in the document via the edit menu. I normally either user the “Check In” option in Word via the office menu, OR I simply save and close in Word, and am then asked if I would like to check in. Both of those check in options fail to remind me that there is a copy out there that may need to be updated. I have no option to update the copy. I do see the option (if I’m looking for it) to update existing copies from the edit menu, but when I try that, I get an error saying it did not complete successfully.
    So, while this “send to” appears to be a good idea, I see it doing more harm than good. :( It’s a shame, because we have a lot of scenarios where this feature would come in handy.

74. neil says:

when you say “whenever the document is checked back in, the author will be prompted to update the published versions”, how is the author prompted? All I see is an additional item in the drop down of the file, when I thought some sort of pop-up would appear instead.

Thanks !

75. To all of you trying to copy between farms, have you tried ensuring that Kerberos on both the sending and receiving MOSS farms AppPool / Service accounts is correctly configured, and delegation set as you need machine to machine authentication for this to work, unless you have read/write allowed via Anonymous Access.

Regarding the ability to attach multiple docs/files to an email via a checkbox based UI and a Send To link, try having a look at ECHO Technologies Outlook PowerTools 2007, it’s free, comes as a proper MSI that installs itself as a WSP on the farm, and works well.

ECHO Technology

76. Kate says:

Thanks for this very useful and informative article. If only there were some way of moving documents in bulk from one server/site to another…. we have several hundred to move from our development site to our live one, and doing it one at a time is going to take hours or even days…. does anyone know a way of doing this? (exporting / importing the whole site is no good as we don’t want to overwrite what’s there already, it’s only the documents that need to move).
    Also, is there a way to override the security question if the copy is between different servers…. Thanks!

77. Rachel Xu says:

Hi Amanda,

I’m facing the same “Destination not found” error as the previous readers.

My environment is the source file is on a contactor company’s public HTTPS server, and the destination is on government’s secure server that you need to VPN in.

I’m wondering if that’s what causes the error. But again I was testing within the government network (no need to VPN in) and still got the error.

78. mike says:

When I use send to for a PDF file not all columns are sent to the receiving site. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

79. Max Noyeke says:

For those who get the blank information/error dialog popup when trying to use this feature … the destination SharePoint server has to have a Site at the root of the server for this to work. Create any type of site, including blank Workspace, at the root of the server and this feature should work for you.

80. Olivier Bogaert says:

Hi,

The ‘sent to’ works fine between libraries of different site collections of the same web app but the ‘send to’ doesn’t work when I try to send the document to a site collection hosted in another web application (“copy not successfully complete”). Did you face this issue too?

81. Edward says:

Team,
    For those of you who need to copy a doc to a FOLDER within a list: Use the “Send To” > Other (or the Custom Send To Destination within the Advanced Settings of the Source List) and enter the url as: http://server/sites/sitename/libraryname/foldername if your folder name contains a space (i.e.: folder name) then use %20 for the space: folder%20name
    Hope this helps..

82. Dave P says:

Can I ask if anyone has any more information regarding the “copying to the destination did not complete successfully” message received when trying to update copies of files in other destinations?

It seems highly illogical that you need to check out each copy before you can make use of the update all copies facility from the master doc. I do understand why docs need to be checked out but to offer an update facility that requires you to go to each copy and check it out seems ludicrous. Surely there must be a way around this, perhaps a setting to be changed for the site/document library. Does anyone out there know?

83. Andy says:

I started having that problem with a blank warning when trying to use the Send To Another Location. I tried using FireFox and it works just fine! Just doesn’t work using IE

84. Milton Lopez says:

Well, I am not as polite as flink who wrote back in October about the limitations in moving SharePoint documents using the default interface. So if it takes a flame war to fix it, this let’s go for it! (kidding, sort of). The fact remains that moving a document into a newly created folder in a library seems impossible with WSS 2007. As a software developer, I cannot understand why a company as large as Microsoft cannnot make such obviously needed improvements to a product with such potential as SharePoint.Maybe they like shooting themselves in the foot. If only that did not get so many users into such unproductive tight spots. Any hope for improvement in SharePoint 2010?

M.

85. ravabelli says:

Nice advice, thanks for sharing.

However I’m not sure of your first point on why this may be useful. I would argue that there should not be a need to publish to a secondary area in the first place. Administration would be simpler if the documents remained in the same location and permissions set accordingly for author and consumer groups. With versioning switched on it is possible to only allow authors the ability to read drafts, consumers automatically only seeing the latest published version.

86. Michael Jackson says:

I just found out that the “Send To > Other Location” functionality only works if you have a root-level site collection. I was going nuts trying it on a site collection located at http://server/sites/members/site-name/Shared%20Documents. I continuously got a “Destination can not be reached” error. There was nothing at the root level.

Then I created a site collection at the root level (http://server/) but did not give anyone access to it. Then, voila!! it worked.

Is it supposed to be this way or am I missing a setting?

87. Justin says:

I have an issue building custom send to locations between document libraries in the same site collection. I get a consistent error saying that the server cannot be located. It seems that it is a common issue when dealing with this solution.

I found a KB article that might be a point in the right direction.
    I think SP is trying to use Forms authentication.

88. Clare says:

Regarding the “Send to” feature “Destination not found” error so lamented by everyone: The edit control you use to enter the destination URL has a bug. When I pasted a long URL into it, everything after 67 characters was cut off. I had to click into the control and manually type in the part of the address that was cut off. Then I could proceed as normal. Users who don’t know about this bug will run into the “…not found” error message after confirming the copy. I’ve tested this more than 10 times with different URLs, and it behaved the same way every time. Hope that helps.

89. Thomas says:

If the document has multiple versions, how to send the document with all versions?

90. Dhawan says:

Even i am getting the error message as “Could not find the destination item or folder on this server” And the other thing that I notice is some user gets the pop up windows and others get waiting for user confirmation” copyresults.aspx page. Very similar to Lynn above. Any pointers on what might be wrong.

91. Lucy says:

I have spent hours reading blogs, how-to articles, search Microsoft knowledge base sites, and I still cannot use the “Send to” command. Below is summary of efforts:

1. Objective: Copy a file in a SharePoint document library to a document library in a different SharePoint site under the same site collection

Action 1: Send To > Other Location > manually typed in destination URL (https://server name/site collection name/project site name/shared documents)
    Failure: Prompts me for my username/log-in (my permissions are Full Control and Designer)

Action 2: Create Custom Send To Destination via Library Settings > Advanced Settings
    Failure: Error message thrown: Unable to connect to destination server (my permissions are Full Control and Designer)

92. Kent says:

Is there a way to simply move a document file between folders in a document library or into a folder in a document library? Nothing fancy. Just moving a file from folder A to folder B.

93. Amith says:

Hey Guys,

I completely agree with this approach. My Question is some thing else …. Can we get a similar item in the (custom action) in the ECB or Toolbar in sitemanager.aspx in Layouts folder ? If you have any idea please revert back to be ;-)

Regards
    Amith Sasi

94. Badhri says:

Thanks for this post.

Is there a way, to hide / supress, the two confirmation screens that appear on this feature.

Regards
    Badhri

95. Sudeep says:

The send to other location feature works only if you have Microsoft Office 2007 installed on the client machine. This will not work with Office 2003. However copying will still work if source and destinations are in the same web applications. To copy across web applications, you need an ActiveX control which is installed with MS office 2007. It then opens that activex control when you hit ok and then contacts a web service to get the job done.

96. Ripul says:

Hi,

I am currently working on restructuring my company sharepoint site. I have created a development site in which all the non-approved documents are stored.Once the documents are approved I want to send them to a public document library.

Now is there any functionality in sharepoint which automatically sends the document to a new library once approved without manually sending it. I work on loads of documents from drafts to approval and manually sending it to the public library for viewing takes a lot of time.

Your help will be very helpful to me.

97. Kevin says:

I can use the send to function to send copies to the first level of the library but I cannot figure out how to send down to a folder->subfolder in that library any idea’s would be appreciated.